Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Do I Really Have to Go to Church?

Many people wonder, “Do I really have to go to church? Can’t I believe in God and just stay home and have 'home' church”? 

A friend once told me, “I don’t have to go to a church if I want to get close to God, I can go sit on a mountaintop and be close to God.”  The only problem is my friend never goes to a mountaintop. And how many people are really going to initiate "home church" with teenagers? I can't imagine that going over very well.

So, let me tell you why I think we have to be disciplined about our church attendance. Over the summer, I was very disciplined about going to the gym, mostly because I have a workout partner who does not let me slack off. I've lost a few pounds. I feel healthier. And I actually enjoy exercising with my friend. Well, unfortunately, my partner has to miss the gym for about 3 weeks and I've only gone ONCE without her. This morning, I should be at my spin class but I wimped out. It’s so early! And I’m so tired! Excuses, excuses...

Without accountability, I feel less motivated. Without someone to encourage me, I want to stay in bed. Without someone counting on me to get there early to save her spot, I just don't go.

You see, that is why we need to go to church. We need people. We need people to keep us accountable. We need people who will encourage us and better yet, we need people to encourage. We need to exercise our gifts of the Spirit or our gifts will get wimpy. We need to build our muscles of faith. We need the nourishment of God's Word from people who have studied it more than us. 

And just as a side note, I have actually met people who have stopped going to church because they have been “offended” by a pastor or the pastor falls into sin. HELLO, pastors are human and humans sin. You are not worshiping the pastor but JESUS. If a pastor falls into sin or you are offended and feel you cannot attend their church anymore, I totally understand. That has happened to all of us at some point in our Christian life. But don’t give up on God. God did not fail you. Man did. Go to another church. Don’t stop going to church all together with some nonsense about going to a mountaintop. I’m sure you have heard this before but let me remind you, no church is perfect because churches are made up of imperfect people. I’m imperfect and I attend, so you are going to be stuck with people like me. We serve a PERFECT GOD, He has called US His church, and we have a job to do. 

Some people have gotten out of the habit of meeting for worship, but we must not do that. We should keep on encouraging each other, especially since you know that the day of the Lord’s coming is getting closer. Hebrews 10:25 (CEV)

As the Day of the Lord approaches, it is going to get darker and darker in this world. We are going to need The Light that comes from the Holy Spirit's presence. The Holy Spirit dwells in every Believer. So let's not neglect going to church. Let's flood the place with His saving light. As the world darkens around us, people who are searching and lost will see our bright light and find their way home.

“Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16 (MSG)

So, since my workout partner will be reading this soon, I promise to go to the gym this evening. I need to go for my own well-being and health. But if I promise to go to the gym, will you promise me something? If you have been hurt by a previous church member or if you are waiting for a mountaintop experience, will you please give church another try?

Pray before you go. Ask God, “God, I want to draw close to you. I want to feel your Holy Spirit's presence. Direct me to a church where I will feel at peace and I will be fed from Your Word. And once I am there, give me the gifts of Your Holy Spirit (like teaching, hospitality, compassion, and healing) and put me to do Your work. Help me be a light to others. In Jesus Name, Amen."

May the God of Love fill your hearts with His Love,

Yolanda


Great new video from Jefferson Bethke, Darkness is Losing. Please listen and be encouraged.

1 comment:

  1. Great word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very bold and full of Truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Encouraging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have probably all been hurt in church.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback.