Friday, March 30, 2018

I Am the Resurrection and the Life - Easter Message

Easter is my favorite holiday!
I love that it’s in spring.
I love spending time with my big Mexican-American family.
But most of all, I love that Easter- Resurrection Sunday – is the day I celebrate the fact that 2018 years ago death passed me by.

On Good Friday, Jesus became our Passover Lamb and His blood shed for me covered all my sins. He paid the penalty for my transgressions by His body that was broken and His blood that was shed.

On Resurrection Sunday, Jesus walked out of that tomb, conquering death and guaranteeing that my last breath on earth would be my first breath in heaven.

That’s why I love Easter!!!

I recently heard a sermon on the miracle of Lazarus. Two weeks before Jesus was crucified, Jesus performed one of the most amazing miracles of His ministry. He told His disciples that this miracle would be “for the glory of God, that the Son of God may be glorified through it.” (John 11:4)

I also believe that Jesus performed this miracle so that those close to Him, like his disciples, mother, and friends, could remember during those three dark days while he was in the tomb that He had the power to raise the dead.

Jesus was a good friend with Lazarus and his two sisters. He had spent time with them in their home and He loved them. (John 11:5) While Jesus was out of town, Lazarus got very sick. His sisters sent word to Jesus because they knew that Jesus had the power to heal their brother. However, when Jesus heard the news, he stayed out of town for an extra two days. He told the disciples, “Lazarus is dead. And I’m glad for your sakes that I was not there, that you may BELIEVE.” (John 11:15)

By the time that Jesus got near to Lazarus' house, he had been dead for four days and was already in a tomb. His sister, Martha, was not happy. She ran out to see Jesus about 2 miles away from her house as he was approaching and basically told him, “You’re late! If you would have gotten here on time, my brother would be alive.” (John 11:21)
Jesus told her, “Your brother will rise again.”
I can just imagine Martha’s exasperated sigh and eye roll as she said, “I KNOW, he’ll rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

Jesus must have given her a loving look and explained loud enough so that the multitude around them could hear that the resurrection of the dead was not about a particular day in the future, but it was about a person. He was that person.

“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25-26)

He asked Martha face to face – “Do you believe this?”

Today, 2018 years later, Jesus is asking us that same question.
“Do you believe this?”

The answer we give Jesus to that question determines where we take our next breath after our physical death. It will either be in His presence in heaven or eternally separated from Him in hell. It’s our choice…
because if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9 ESV)

He already took our sins upon himself. He already conquered death for us. He holds the keys to death and life. He has already opened the door to heaven. But, it’s up to us to walk through that door or shut it in his face.

Just like Jesus wept when Lazarus died because of the sorrowful mourning of the people. Jesus weeps for us. He does not want anyone to perish (2 Peter 3:9) but for all to turn from their sin, repent, and run into His loving arms. For God so loved the world (He so loved us) that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

So, Jesus is asking you today, “Do you believe this? Do you believe in Me? Do you believe I am the resurrection and the life?”
Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  I am the Door; anyone who enters through Me will be saved [and will live forever], and will go in and out [freely], and find pasture (spiritual security). John 14:6 NLT; John 10:9 AMP

Don’t wait to give Him your answer. Life is short and the hour is growing late. Today is the day of salvation. Let today be your Resurrection Day!

Love,
Yolanda


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.