Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Your Hand of Blessing - Preschool Lesson on Psalm 139


Today, during my preschool chapel time, I decided it was time to take out the Big Kid Bible. Usually, I’ll read the students stories from the Children’s Bible, however, during my personal devotion time, the words to Psalm 139 read as a personal love letter and I just had to share it with my little ones.

As I read through God’s Word this morning, one phrase from the Psalm really touched my heart:
“You place Your hand of blessing on my head.”

When I read that, I suddenly got an image of God’s gentle hand resting on my head, comforting me like a Father. It reminded me of a sermon I heard last Sunday from Pastor Ray Bentley. Pastor Ray said, “The Lord has given us authority to bless others.”

"The person who blesses others will prosper; he who satisfies others will be satisfied himself." Proverbs 11:25

Pastor Ray talked about how Joshua blessed the tribes of Israel, speaking words of blessing over them as they left for their assigned allotments of land. Joshua told them, “Love the LORD your God, walk in His ways, keep His commandments, to hold fast to Him, and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul…Return with much riches to your tents, with very much livestock, with silver, with gold, with bronze, with iron, and with very much clothing.” (Joshua 22:6, 8) Joshua's words of exhortation were prayers for their future prosperity and outpouring of God's blessings because of their faithful dedication to the LORD.

The pastor encouraged us to exercise our right and authority to bless people in the Name of Jesus. He said to get specific in our blessing, praying blessing on our children, spouse, friends, and even our enemies. I started to think about my daughter, how I should lay hands on her head and speak blessing over her daily. Speaking aloud blessings for her future plans, academic and sport achievements, her spiritual walk with Jesus, and her relationships. Be encouraged and watch Pastor Ray's sermon, Victory - Joshua 22.

I also got the feeling that the LORD was asking me to read this passage of scripture to my preschoolers, blessing them in His Name, and sharing with them His love letter.

Here’s my preschool version of Psalm 139:
O LORD, You look into our hearts and you know everything about us.
You know when we’re sitting here on the carpet or when we’re standing up.
You know everything we’re thinking.
You see us when we go on a trip or when we stay home.
You know everything we do.
You know everything we’re going to say even before we say it, LORD.
You go before us and you follow us.
You place Your hand of blessing on our head.
[Then, I stood up and placed my hand gently on the head of some of my little ones, making them giggle.]
We can never escape from Your Spirit!
We can never get away from Your Presence!
[Then I reminded them that when we invite Jesus to live in our hearts, His Spirit lives in our hearts forever.]
You made every part of our body. Thank you for making us so wonderful!
You watched us as we were being formed in our mommy’s bellies.
[That really made them laugh]
You saw us before we were even born!
Every day of our life is written down in Your book, God.
[I explained how God is writing down everything we do in His book, and when we do something that doesn’t please the LORD, we ask for forgiveness, and Jesus erases that page. So every morning, we get a fresh clean page for God to write on. And when He sees us doing something pleasing to Him, He writes it down, “Saying, good job, My child.” And one day, He’ll read it back to us and place a crown on our head.]

I ended my little Bible time, praying God’s Word with my little ones and told them praying God’s Word is powerful! One of the students remembered a declaration that I’m teaching them this summer and said, “Jesus Power?”

“Yes,” I said, “Jesus Power helps us do what is pleasing in God’s eyes.”

How precious are your thoughts about me, O God.
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know all the things I’m worried about.
Point out anything in me that doesn’t please You, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.
In Jesus Name. Amen.

It’s amazing how receptive preschool children are to the Word of God. They get it, even when using Miss Yolanda’s Big Girl Bible. That’s why Jesus said, “Anyone who does not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” (Mark 10:15)

We must be receptive and hungry for God's Word. When we neglect to read it, we are missing out on the greatest love letter ever written. Do you want to know how much God loves you? Open up His Word and He'll tell you.

Love,
Miss Yolanda


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.