Friday, June 9, 2017

A Preschool Tale of God's Love and Captain America

This summer in preschool, I’m teaching the morning Bible lesson. I’m very excited!
When thinking about what theme I should share, I felt like the LORD wanted me to concentrate on His love. All week, I’ve emphasized that from the very beginning God formed us in His image. His whole purpose for creating us was to share His amazing love with us.  From the moment He created Adam and Eve, He looked upon them with a Father's love. And every one of us, from the time He knits us together in our mother's womb, are made in His image. He looks upon us through the eyes of a Father's unconditional love.

1 John 3:1 (MSG)
What marvelous love the Father has extended to us! Just look at it—we’re called children of God! That’s who we really are.

Today, because my little guys love superheroes, I decided to tell a preschool tale using my favorite superhero, Captain America, action figure. Yes, I have my own Captain America action figure. Don't judge me.

I showed the class a picture of Captain America before he turned into a superhero. You see, Steve Rogers was a skinny, small, weak kid but he had a very big heart. He wanted to be strong and brave and to defend his country but people would not let him because they told him he was too small. He was ridiculed because he was so small, even his helmet would not fit right. So, as all his friends joined the army, he was left behind.



My preschool boys were not happy to discover that Captain America used to be a scrawny little guy. I could see the denial in the eyes of one of my very devout superhero followers. He looked down at the superhero image of Captain America on his t-shirt and at that picture of Steve Rogers, and I could almost hear him thinking, “No way!!”

Here was how my tale unfolded….
(And yes, I know it’s not really how it happened but it’s my preschool tale and I’m sticking with it.)

Captain America was so sad about being small and rejected, until he remembered the story of David and Goliath from the Bible. David was very small boy when he defeated the giant Goliath with just 5 stones. David defeated Goliath because David believed that God would make him strong and give him victory. It was David’s faith in God that made him big and brave.

So, Captain America decided to open up the Bible and pray to God.

Prayer from Portions of Psalm 118 (CEV)
I love you, LORD God, and you make me strong.
You are my mighty rock, my protector, my shield, and my powerful weapon.
I praise you, LORD!
I prayed, and you rescued me from the bad guys.
The bad guys tried to tie me up in ropes and set a trap for me. 
I was in terrible trouble when I called out to you, God.
God you heard me and answered my prayer.
You, God, scattered my enemies with arrows of lightning.
You reached down from heaven, and you lifted me up!
You rescued me from enemies, who were mean and too powerful for me.
When they attacked, you defended me.
When I was fenced in, you freed and rescued me, because you love me.
You are good to me, LORD, because I do right, 
and You reward me because I am innocent.
I do what you want and never turn to do evil.
I keep your Word in mind so I won’t sin against you.
I try to do right;
You are always loyal to Your loyal people, 
and You are faithful to the faithful.
You, the LORD God, keep my lamp burning and turn darkness to light.
You help me defeat armies.
Your way is perfect, LORD, and Your Word is correct.
You, GOD, are a shield for those who run to you for help.
You alone are God!
Only you are a mighty rock.
 You give me strength and guide me right.
You make my feet run fast and you help me stand strong.
 You alone are my shield.
Your right hand supports me, and by coming to help me,
you have made me famous.
You helped me win against the bad guys. 
You are the living LORD! I will praise you.
You are a mighty rock. I will honor You for keeping me safe.
You protected me from the bad guys
and made me much greater than all of them.
I will praise you, LORD, and tell everyone about you.
You made me a Superhero for Jesus and I’m in the Lord’s Army.
Your faithful love for me will never end.
Thank you, Jesus.

As I came to the end of my preschool tale, I told my little ones, “And that is how Captain America went from a small little guy to a big, brave superhero for Jesus. And you can be a superhero for Jesus too, by hiding God's Word in your heart, praying like David prayed, and having faith in God like David. When you invite Jesus to come live in your heart, Jesus comes in and His Spirit makes you brave, strong, kind, loving, and faithful. He fills your heart with His love and with Jesus on your side, you can defeat any giant in our life.”


When I asked my kiddos, "Who wants to be a superhero for Jesus?", they all raised their hands and prayed. So, I think Captain America will forgive me for embellishing his tale a bit for the sake of happy little hearts filled with the love of God. And I pray God smiles down at me for my crazy preschool tales. They are told in love by a daughter who loves her Heavenly dad.
How about you? Are you ready to be a Superhero for Jesus? I hope so because the God of Angel Armies is looking for a few good men and women.

Love,
Miss Yolanda



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.