Thursday, March 23, 2017

Only God Can Mend What Has Been Broken



So, I found myself praying for a butterfly.
At preschool, we illustrated the life cycle of a butterfly with a kit that takes us through the process of watching caterpillars transform into butterflies. Then, the goal was to release them in front of the children as we watched them take flight into the sky.
Well, 4 out of the 5 flew away as one little boy shouted, “Have a safe trip, butterflies.”
Sadly, one could not make it out of the habitat.
It appeared that his wings had been damaged.
We coaxed him into a planter and left him with an orange slice.
After recess, we checked on him but he'd fallen to the ground in a failed attempt to fly.
So, we gently picked him up with an orange slice and put him back in the safety of the habitat enclosure.
And, then I prayed, “LORD, heal his little wings so he can fly.”
At the end of the day, I took the little butterfly to a beautiful flower planter and using a flower petal, I gently placed the butterfly on a flower. I hoped that he would be able to gain strength from the nectar of the flower and eventually be strong enough to fly away.
But, I’m no butterfly expert so what do I know.

Sometimes, there are people in our lives like these damaged butterflies.
They have hatched from eggs to caterpillars, and through believing in Jesus as their LORD and Savior they have even been transformed into beautiful butterflies. However, sometimes in the transformation of their lives, their wings are a damaged and they cannot fly into the new life God has planned for them.

As their friends and family members, we come along side and pray for them.
We may even take them out of their enclosures and place them on beautiful flower petals where we feed them God’s Word hoping they’ll gain nourishment and strength to fly on their own. But, when we come to check on them, they are still in the same place we left them.

So, what do we do?
Sometimes, we’ve done all we can do and it’s not in our power to do anything more. Sometimes, we just have to pray and leave them on the flower petal in God’s Garden. Only Jesus, the Ultimate Gardner and Healer, can heal their brokenness. We’ve done our part. We’ve prayed. We’ve taken them to the altar, but it’s up to them to ask to be healed.

Just like the friends of the paralyzed man in Luke 6 who lowered their friend through the ceiling at the feet of Jesus. They had done their part. And just like the man with leprosy in the chapter before had to ask Jesus for the healing, (Luke 5:13), so our friends have to ask Jesus for their healing. We can’t ask for them. That is between them and Jesus.

However, as we gently lower them on that flower petal, let's remind them of the love of Jesus. Remind them that God works all things for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). Let us read to them the words of Jesus,
“I am willing.”
He is willing to mend our brokenness. More than willing. But He’s waiting for us to ask.

O LORD, Your Word says that You are near the brokenhearted and that You save the crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:18)
You have sent Your Word (Jesus) to heal us and to bind up our wounds. (Psalm 107:20; Psalm 147:3)
So, hear my cry and heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed;
Save me and I will be saved,
For You are my praise. (Jeremiah 17:14)
Jesus, by Your wounds I have been healed. (John 10:10)
In You, Jesus, there is life, a promise of abundant life. (1 Peter 2:24)
So, I ask you, Jesus, to forgive me of my sins. I give you my heart. Come in and fill me with Your Holy Spirit. Mend what has been broken. Heal me from the inside out. Make me a new creation, a reflection of You, and help me to soar and fly where You lead. In Jesus Name. Amen.

Love,
Yolanda







No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.