Thursday, November 3, 2016

Walking In Spiritual Confidence In Uncertain Times

Days before this presidential election, I feel overwhelmed and deeply saddened by the amount of corruption, greed, and evil that has infiltrated all levels of government. Just when you think it could not get any worse, more wickedness is revealed. I wonder is there anyone left in halls of justice that will fight for truth and righteousness? Who can the American people trust?

When doubt creeps in and faith is hard to find, God always provides hope through the pages of His Word. Recently, I was reading about the prophet Habakkuk. Habakkuk lived in a time when violence, corruption, and evil dominated his country. My Bible commentary says, “It was a time of fear, oppression, persecution, lawlessness, and immorality.”* When I read that I thought, “Wow, that totally sounds like today’s headlines.”

Habakkuk was deeply saddened by all he saw and he cried out to the LORD:
“How long, O LORD, must I call for help? But you do not listen!
'Violence is everywhere!’ I cry, but you do not come to save.
Must I forever see these evil deeds?
Why must I watch all this misery?
Wherever I look, I see destruction and violence.
I am surrounded by people who love to argue and fight.
The law has become paralyzed, and there is no justice in the courts.
The wicked far outnumber the righteous, so that justice has become perverted.”

The LORD replied,
“Look around at the nations; look and be amazed! 
For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn’t believe even if someone told you about it.”

So, Habkkuk said, “ I will climb up to my watchtower and stand at my guard post.
There I will wait to see what the LORD says and how he will answer my complaint.”

Then the LORD answered Habakkuk:
“Write my answer plainly on tablets, so that a runner can carry the correct message to others. This vision is for a future time. It describes the end, and it will be fulfilled. If it seems slow in coming, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed. Look at the proud! They trust in themselves, and their lives are crooked.  But the righteous will live by their faithfulness to God.
Wealth is treacherous, and the arrogant are never at rest.
They open their mouths as wide as the grave, and like death, they are never satisfied.
In their greed they have gathered up many nations and swallowed many peoples.
But soon their captives will taunt them. They will mock them, saying, “What sorrow awaits you thieves! Now you will get what you deserve! You’ve become rich by extortion, but how much longer can this go on?’
Suddenly, your debtors will take action. They will turn on you and take all you have, while you stand trembling and helpless.
Because you have plundered many nations, now all the survivors will plunder you.
You committed murder throughout the countryside and filled the towns with violence.
What sorrow awaits you who build big houses with money gained dishonestly!
You believe your wealth will buy security, putting your family’s nest beyond the reach of danger.
 But by the murders you committed, you have shamed your name and forfeited your lives.
The very stones in the walls cry out against you, and the beams in the ceilings echo the complaint.
What sorrow awaits you who build cities with money gained through murder and corruption!
 Has not the LORD of Heaven’s Armies promised that the wealth of nations will turn to ashes?
They work so hard, but all in vain!
For as the waters fill the sea, the earth will be filled with an awareness of the glory of the LORD.”

The answer God gave Habakkuk is the same answer God is giving us today. He is not blind to the evil and corruption that is taking place. He is at work in ways we cannot imagine or understand. The wicked will not get away with their schemes forever. He wants us to trust Him and live by faith.  My Bible commentary says, “God is alive and in control of the world and its events. We cannot see all that God is doing, and we cannot see all that God will do. But we can be assured that he is God and will do what is right. Knowing this can give us confidence and hope in a confusing world.”*

So, in these confusing days, let us go up to our watchtower, stand guard, and scan the heavens knowing that God is working all things for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. Then we can confidently pray like Habakkuk prayed:

I have heard all about you, LORD.
I am filled with awe by your amazing works.
In this time of our deep need, help us again as you did in years gone by.
And in your anger, remember your mercy.
I see God moving across the deserts from Edom, the Holy One coming from Mount Paran.
His brilliant splendor fills the heavens, and the earth is filled with his praise.
His coming is as brilliant as the sunrise.
Rays of light flash from his hands, where his awesome power is hidden.
When he stops, the earth shakes.
When he looks, the nations tremble.
He shatters the everlasting mountains and levels the eternal hills.
He is the Eternal One!
You went out to rescue your chosen people, to save your anointed ones.
I will rejoice in the LORD!
I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
The Sovereign LORD is my strength (my source of courage; my invincible army)!
He makes my feet steady and sure. 
He makes me walk forward with spiritual confidence on my high places of challenge and responsibility. 

My brothers and sisters in Christ, regardless of how the election turns out, there are difficult days ahead: the economy, civil unrest, wars and rumors of wars, etc. But in these Last Days, God has promised to not leave us or forsake us. We walk forward on November 9th with spiritual confidence knowing that God is good. God is just. God loves us. And all signs point to our greatest hope, that Jesus is coming back soon! So until then, we are called by God to be Habakkuks. We are to keep watch, stand firm on God's Word, and we are to write and share plainly His message of salvation in Christ Jesus.

Love,
Yolanda
#PrayVotePray

Here is a link to great message on Habakkuk: https://vimeo.com/189542493
Bible commentary is from the Life Application Study Bible.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.