Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hold Fast...It's Getting Shaky Out There

Last night, I went to hear one of my favorite authors, Rabbi Jonathan Cahn. If you have not read his book, The Harbinger, I highly recommend it. I believe the message of his book, and the message he’s been sharing since the publication, is a prophetic warning and wake up call for Believers in America. Since the pastor of the church where he was speaking introduced him with a similar sentiment and high praise, I feel like I'm in good company.

Before I went to the event, I got some well meaning, cautionary advice from loved ones.
“Don’t go all crazy. Don’t get all dooms day.”

I told them, “Don’t worry!” and then thought to myself, “Oops! Too late.”

I’m not going to describe the message he shared last night. You can read the book or watch the videos attached below to hear a similar message. Let just say, he shared what has happened, what is happening, and what may happen if our nation does not return to God. You see, God will not be mocked. If, as a nation, we reject and mock God than God says we will reap what we sow. (Galatians 6:7) So during parts of his message, I would whisper to my friend, “I’m freaking out. OK, I am NOT freaking out. OK, I’m freaking out just a little.”

After sharing his prophetic message of warning, he instructed us of 3 key things to do in order to prepare for what is coming:

  1. “Ground yourself in the Word of God.” Read it, know it, hold fast to it.
  2. “Do not bend the Word of God to fit your life. Bend your life to match the Word of God.”
  3. “Do not fear! God is in control.”
His three keys reminded me of a Revelation study I’m currently doing. In Chapters 2 and 3 of Revelation, Jesus tells the Apostle John to write letters to 7 churches. To most of these churches, Jesus would have a commendation but also a reprimand and warning to repent.

To one church, Jesus warned they had lost their first love, the love they had for Him at the very beginning. He instructed them to remember from where they had fallen, to repent, and to do the things they had done when they first received salvation.

To two churches, Jesus reprimanded them because they had allowed sexual immorality and idolatry to be practiced in the church. And He warned them to repent or face judgment. 

To another church, Jesus warned that they were deceived by their good works into believing they were thriving and alive, but Jesus told they were actually dead. They had neglected the foundations of the Gospel. Jesus warned them to repent and hold fast to the truth of the Gospel they had received when they first believed.  

To another church, Jesus said they made him vomit because they were lukewarm, neither hot nor cold. My Tyndale Life Application Bible commentary says, “The believers didn’t take a stand for anything; indifference had led to idleness…the church had become hardened and self-satisfied. They were in-name only Christians.”

Jesus instructed John to write these letters as warnings to the churches of the day but also as prophetic warnings to us. When we read the descriptions of these churches, we should examine our hearts and ask God to point out if there are any lukewarm areas in our own Christian life so that we can repent and get right with God.

Jonathan’s Cahn’s three keys reminded me of Jesus’ letters to the two churches who received only His commendation and promises of blessing.

To the church of Philadelphia:
“I know all the things you do, and I have opened a door for you that no one can close. You have little strength, yet you obeyed my word and did not deny me.  Look, I will force those who belong to Satan’s synagogue—those liars who say they are Jews but are not—to come and bow down at your feet. They will acknowledge that you are the ones I love.
“Because you have obeyed my command to persevere, I will protect you from the great time of testing that will come upon the whole world to test those who belong to this world. I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown. All who are victorious will become pillars in the Temple of my God, and they will never have to leave it. And I will write on them the name of my God, and they will be citizens in the city of my God—the new Jerusalem that comes down from heaven from my God. And I will also write on them my new name. (Rev 3:8-12 NLT)

To the church of Smyrna:
“‘I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich) and the slander of those who say that they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. The one who conquers will not be hurt by the second death. (Rev 2:9-11 ESV)

Through these letters, Jesus was giving us the same 3 keys to prepare for what’s to come:
  1. Obey My Word.
  2. Hold fast to Me and do not deny Me. Jesus, in turn, promises to hold fast to us and proclaim us as the ones He loves.
  3. Do not fear. I'm in control. Be faithful until the end and I will give you the crown of life. 

So, did last night's message freak me out? A little. Am I restocking my earthquake kit? Yes. I would not be me if a powerful message like his did not compel me to action. When the Rabbi prayed over us and gave us a Messianic blessing from God, I raised my hands high and prayed for God’s Holy Spirit to fill me with His strength, courage, boldness, wisdom, and peace. And I’m holding fast to those 3 keys. That’s my battle plan. That’s my survival guide. But God does not intend for us to just survive until He returns. Like the angel told the apostles after Jesus ascended, “What are you doing here just looking up at heaven?” (Acts 1:11)  I can’t just stand here; gazing up into heaven, with my metaphorical bags packed, saying, “Jesus, are you coming yet? I’m really, really ready to go.”

Jesus has commanded us to go out and preach the Word, to share and lead people to salvation through the power of the cross and resurrection, to share the prophetic warnings when we see or hear them.

I’d like to end with my favorite quote from Jonathan Cahn’s book, The Harbinger.
“If the watchman should see the signs of calamity appearing in the distance and fail to blow the trumpet to warn his people, what then would he become?”
“Guilty.”
“Of what?”
“Of their destruction.”
“Correct. He had a chance to save them but didn’t.”

So, I've shared what I've heard. What about you? Will you share?

Love,
Yolanda




Listen to the Prayer of Blessing:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.