Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Am I A Christian?


Have you ever had to identify yourself by your race for work, school, or on a government document? The form always has boxes to check like Caucasian, Hispanic, or Native American. Back in the 1980s, Chicano was a choice but I never quite understood that one so I’d pick another. Sometimes I just wanted to write in the margin, “Well, my mom was born in Texas and my dad’s from Michoacán, so I guess I’m half and half.”

Lately, I’ve been reading articles and comments from people who are checking the box “Christian,” but when I read their posts I don’t find any evidence of the Bible. I’m wondering if these people are uninformed or do they just want to write in the margin of their Bible, “I’m half and half?” Half of me wants to belong in heaven and half of me wants to belong in the world. What worries me is that God is clear in the Bible that He wants all of us. There is no half and half with God. A person cannot ride the Christian-World fence. Trust me, I’ve tried and I've fallen off. Here is what Jesus said about riding the fence:

Matthew 12:30 (MSG)
“This is war, and there is no neutral ground. If you’re not on my side, you’re the enemy; if you’re not helping, you’re making things worse.

The word “Christian” means “follower of Jesus Christ.” The definition cannot be diluted to mean just “a nice person” or “my grandparents were Christian therefore I am.”

It’s impossible to follow Jesus wholeheartedly without respecting God’s Word (Bible). Jesus and The Word cannot be separated. One cannot take Jesus and abandon the other because God refers to Jesus as The Word and He exalts The Word above all else.

Christ, the Eternal Word (John 1:1-2,14)
In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.He existed in the beginning with God.God created everything through Him, and nothing was created except through Him…So the Word [Jesus] became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen His glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son.

I will worship toward Your holy temple and praise Your name for Your loving-kindness and for Your truth and faithfulness; for You have exalted above all else Your name and Your word and You have magnified Your word above all Your name! Psalm 138:2 AMP

When people asked Jesus what they had to do to follow Him, He didn’t say “just be a nice person or your grandpa used to be a Christian so you’re good.” Jesus said, “If anyone of you wants to be My follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, pick up your cross, and follow Me.” (John 16:24) Jesus is not someone we can identify with when it’s convenient or popular. He was warning the apostles and those listening that following Him was going to be difficult. It was going to cost them everything, possibly their very lives, to follow Him. And just like He carried His cross to His death, dying for the sins of mankind, He is also letting us know that in order to follow Him we are going to have to die to self, denying our selfish pursuits.  

Last night, I read a heartbreaking article from a lady who called herself a Christian since early childhood. In that same article, she mocked and misinterpreted the Old Testament, denied the harmful consequences of sin, and lastly, she attacked Bible believing Christians, claiming they were ignorant and must not have read the entire Bible. Yet, I found it odd she never once quoted the Bible. To be honest, I got upset and complained, “God, I need a new identity. If the world is going to take the word “Christian” and distort the definition, then I don’t want to be called that anymore.”

The Apostles in the New Testament identified themselves as “The Way” because Jesus declared, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but by Me.” (John 14:6)  Since I probably can’t call myself “The Way” without sounding weird, from now on when anyone asks me if I’m a Christian, I’m going to clarify and say:

  • I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. (Romans 1:6)
  • I am a believer and worshiper of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the Great I AM. (Exodus 3:14)
  • I am devoted to the entire Word of God, from Genesis to Revelation. I believe it is God-breathed, alive, infallible, and has the power to penetrate and change lives. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
  • I have received salvation because I have believed and called on The Name of Jesus Christ. Jesus paid the penalty for my sins on the cross. He conquered death and on the third day He rose from the grave. He is now seated at the right hand of the Father. (Ephesians 1:19-20)
  • I have been covered by the Blood of the Lamb (Jesus) and made righteous because He is righteous. (1 Peter 1:19, Revelation 7:14)
  • I have received a water baptism signifying the death of my old sinful nature, being washed clean, and reborn into the image of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 3:21)
  • I have been baptized with the Holy Spirit, who manifests Himself through me via gifts and power for the furtherance of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. (Acts 2:1-4,5,8-9,12-14, 19:5-7)
  • I have been adopted into the family of God. I am His child and a co-heir with Christ. (Romans 8:17)
  • I pray for the peace of Jerusalem because they are God’s chosen people, the apple of His eye, and I am grateful that out of the tribe of Judah came my Messiah, Jesus Christ. Also, God commands me to pray for Israel for my family and friends sake. (Psalm 122:6)
  • I pray for those who do not know Jesus as Savior because God’s heart is that none should perish and all to come to repentance. He has commanded me to go and make disciples, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (2 Peter 3:9, Matthew 28:19)
  • I am the Bride of Christ, being made holy by the purifying work of the Holy Spirit and I anxiously await the return of the Bridegroom, Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 5:25-27, Isaiah 4:5)
  • When Jesus returns, He will find me watching for Him because God says those who are found watching for Jesus’ return will be blessed. (Luke 12:37)
  • And until Jesus returns or takes me home, I will do my best to uphold and proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ. (2 Thessalonians 2:13-15 MSG)
So, if they ask me if I'm a Christian, and they mean how it's defined above, then I’m a Christian.

I’d like to end with a story. When I graduated from college, three of my friends and I flew to Lake Tahoe. We had to fly from Reno to Tahoe on a tiny plane. The stewardess asked each of us to fill out a form revealing our weight. Now, my weight was something I never, ever revealed. As I’m looking at this form and then at my 110-pound friends, I started to panic. I’m sweating and thinking, “Seriously, how much risk is involved in distorting the truth? Do I really have a life or death responsibility to tell the whole truth? Will I really endanger my friends and myself if I subtract 20-30 pounds? What’s more important, my pride or the truth?”

I’m not going to tell you whether I lied on the form or not. Let’s just say we survived. But let me ask you, is ignoring, neglecting, denying or distorting the Word of God for any reason worth the risk? Because, this time, it really is an eternal life or death decision. Remember, God said if we are not helping bring people to Jesus then we are His enemy and working against Him. (Matthew 12:30 NLT, AMP)
So, brothers and sisters in Christ, we ARE responsible for sharing the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. So help us, God.

John 10:22-30 (MSG)
...“How long are you going to keep us guessing? If you’re the Messiah, tell us straight out.”
Jesus answered, “I told you, but you don’t believe. Everything I have done has been authorized by my Father, actions that speak louder than words. You don’t believe because you’re not My sheep. My sheep recognize My voice. I know them, and they follow Me. I give them real and eternal life. They are protected from the Destroyer for good. No one can steal them from out of My hand. The Father who put them under My care is so much greater than the Destroyer and Thief. No one could ever get them away from Him. I and the Father are one heart and mind.”

Love,
Yolanda


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.