Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Reluctant Watchman - A Short Story

Once there was a very curious girl who longed for answers. Thankfully, her curiosity led her down the path towards salvation and not trouble. But curiosity continued to gnaw at her soul, driving her to uncover the whys and hows of life. Dinosaurs, the age of the earth, Tribulation, The Rapture, gifts of the Spirit where all journeys she traveled upon. In her quest for answers, fear hindered her progress, doubt tripped her up, and condemnation became her worst enemy.

One day, God approached the girl and said,
“Daughter, I am always searching, high and low, for curious souls who desire to know Me. I have gifted you with a very curious nature for a divine purpose. I have an important job for you.”

Looking around, thinking she misheard, she hesitantly asked, “Are you sure, God? I’m kind of a mess.”

Laughing, God replied, “Yes, I’m sure. I do My best work with messy people.”

“OK, what’s the job? Research and Development? I’m really good at looking things up. I know, I know. Secretary. I looooovvvve taking notes and working at my desk.”

“Daughter, I know that you are skilled in those areas. I created you that way. But now it’s time to take those skills and use them for a higher calling. I’m calling you to be a Watchman on the Wall.”

“Hmmm…that job sounds kind of ominous. God, I know You know all things but You do remember that I’m kind of afraid of the dark and athletically challenged? What exactly does a Watchman on the Wall have to do?”

“You have to read and study My Word. You have to know it well so you can share My Word with others. You have to point them to Jesus and share the good news of salvation through My Son’s death on the cross. Also, you must stand watch looking for the signs of My Son’s return. When you see the signs, sound the alarm so that those who slumber in ignorance will wake up and get ready.”

“God, that sounds waaaaay beyond my capabilities and comfort level. I mean, won’t I sound crazy? Kind of like Chicken Little yelling the sky is falling?”

“Some will mock you. Even those close to you will tire of your warnings and ignore you. But, didn’t they not mock My Son?”

Looking contrite, she said, “Yes, LORD.”

Gently, the LORD said, “And didn’t My Son say that when they mock you they are not really mocking you but Him? His Name? In essence, aren’t they really mocking Me?”

“Yes, LORD.”

“Then ignore the mocking. I can take it!”

“OK, but what if people get mad at me for disturbing their slumber with the alarm?”

“Some will become angry.”

“Will they try to hurt me? Because you know, I’m kind of a coward and have zero pain tolerance.”

“They may.”

“God, this job is not sounding very promising. Mocked, angry, possible pain involved. I’m kind of desk-job girl.”

“You are more than a desk job girl because My Spirit resides in you. I will strengthen you when you need strength. I will give you courage when you need courage. I will provide the words that you must say. I will comfort you when you get mocked. I will empower you when you feel powerless. I will never leave you alone on the job because you are mine and I love you, always and forever.”

“OK, LORD. I’ll do it. But what if no one listens?"

“You are not responsible for whether or not they listen. Leave that to Me. You are only responsible for watching and sounding the alarm.” 

“I’m scared, LORD. I know I talk real tough but I’m afraid. What if I disappoint You?”

“You could never disappoint Me because I know your inner most thoughts already. I know the desires of your heart. You are an open book to Me! I know that your desire has always been to share My Son with others. I know how much you worry about those you love who won’t accept My Son. I know that you fear the unknown. But that’s how I keep you close to Me. Those who think they know everything ignore Me or, worse, deny Me. You press into My presence when you feel alone and insecure. I love that! In My presence, I will strengthen you. I will comfort you. I hear your prayers. Stop worrying about trying to make them perfect. I don’t want or need perfectly recited prayers. I want your heart-felt sincerity. And when you pray, the power of Heaven is unleashed for you. So keep praying, My little Watchman because I have important work for you to do.”

“OK, LORD. I’m ready! You know, I’ve been working out lately. Have You seen me lifting weights and even running? Maybe You can give me some awesome high tech weapons, like night vision goggles and a really cool Super Hero costume? I could totally rock a cape.”

Chuckling, God placed His arms around the girl and said, “You delight me, Daughter. Sorry, no cape." Then He placed His hand on her heart and said, "You already have all you need in here.” Love, peace, and warmth flooded every chamber, flowing out through her veins to every cell in her body.  “And in here,” He said, as she saw her Bible in His hand. He opened up The Book and placed it in her hands.

Suddenly, the girl awoke from a deep and restful slumber.
 “Was it all a dream?” she wondered sadly.
 But there, next to her bed, lay her Bible opened to Ezekiel 33:1-9.
 You Are the Watchman
God’s Message came to me: “Son of man, speak to your people. Tell them, ‘If I bring war on this land and the people take one of their citizens and make him their watchman, and if the watchman sees war coming and blows the trumpet, warning the people, then if anyone hears the sound of the trumpet and ignores it and war comes and takes him off, it’s his own fault. He heard the alarm, he ignored it—it’s his own fault. If he had listened, he would have saved his life. “‘But if the watchman sees war coming and doesn’t blow the trumpet, warning the people, and war comes and takes anyone off, I’ll hold the watchman responsible for the bloodshed of any unwarned sinner.’“You, son of man, are the watchman. I’ve made you a watchman for Israel. The minute you hear a message from me, warn them. If I say to the wicked, ‘Wicked man, wicked woman, you’re on the fast track to death!’ and you don’t speak up and warn the wicked to change their ways, the wicked will die unwarned in their sins and I’ll hold you responsible for their bloodshed. But if you warn the wicked to change their ways and they don’t do it, they’ll die in their sins well-warned and at least you will have saved your own life.

With a determined smile, she looked up and said, “OK, LORD. Message received. Your girl’s ready to take her post on the wall.”

The End


Dedication: This story is dedicated to my friend, Joan. Months ago, I was whining to her via text about a particular world event that I saw as having an enormous Biblical prophetic impact. The potential consequences of this event burdened my spirit and I was waking up in the middle of the night praying. I confessed to her that I wished I could be like others, oblivious to what was going on in the world. That I could ignore the news and just bury my head under my pillow and sleep. She very lovingly sent me this text:
"No, that is your gift. You probably have the gift of being a watchman. That is why you can't ignore it."

The moment I read those words, they resonated with my spirit. So I started doing research on the ministry of being a Watchman on the Wall. The calling comes from Ezekiel 33.

I have been hesitant, fearful, and insecure about writing and posting this story on my blog. I have tried to ignore and avoid the incomplete draft on my computer but God would not let me. For the last few months, sermons, articles, and scriptures kept coming to my attention that are urging Watchmen to step up to take their posts on the wall.  And today, when I opened up my Bible, I read this scripture:

Psalm 134:1-3
Oh bless the LORD, all you servants of the LORD, you who serve as night watchman in the house of the LORD. Lift your hands in holiness, and bless the LORD. May the LORD, who made heaven and earth, bless you from Jerusalem.

So, if you read this story and the Ministry of Watchman intrigues you and resonates with your spirit, then God may be calling you to wake up, pick up your Bible, and take up your post on the wall.  I pray He is because there's a lot of ground to cover, people to warn, and very few watchmen willing to answer the call.

Love, 
Yolanda 


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Jess. Yours and Jason's feedback means a lot!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and your kind words. They really mean a lot to me. After posting, I asked God to please give me some feedback on this one so I truly see your comment as an answer to prayer.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and feedback.