Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Summer Runners Club


The other day I read a great quote, “I want to inspire people. I want someone to look at me and say, “Because of you, I didn’t give up.” This quote brought to mind a conversation I had with one of my friends who ran April’s 5K with me. Recently she approached me discouraged and said, “Seeing you makes me wish that I hadn’t given up after the 5K. I stopped running, I’m eating terribly, and I’ve gained all my weight back.” I gave her a hug and told her that everyday is a new day to start over but that we all need someone to cheer us on and hold us accountable. I promised her that this summer I would send her encouraging texts and hold her accountable to working out. Sometimes, it just takes a friend knowing they care to keep us going.

I used to organize and lead summer book clubs. I absolutely loved it because it was a good excuse to get out of the house and bond with like-minded people. I have to admit that I was great at coming up with thought-provoking and fun questions. A friend asked me to start another club this summer, mentioning how much she missed them. I thought about it for a while because I also miss my book clubs, but I realized that I’m at a different stage of my life. I don’t feel like getting together with friends and being sedate. I want to move! I want to inspire others to get moving. But I want us to move for a purpose.

The other night, after participating in my second 5K, my fellow participants and I got together for a celebration dinner. We were all sweaty and fatigued, discussing our highs and lows of the race but soon that conversation lead to a discussion on the highs and lows of our Christian journey. I found myself, with the help of the Holy Spirit, in the “mentor” role again – leading, sharing God’s Word, and encouraging.  I got home that evening, with more than a “runner’s high”. I was on a Holy Spirit high and I thought to myself, “I want more of that, God!”

So, this idea started forming in my brain of a “Summer Runners Club”, combining my new found love of running with a need I’ve been having to pray for my country, the persecuted church, and for those close to me who do not know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.  But when it comes to prayer, I’m kind of like my friend who’d given up running. I have great intentions but I soon run out of steam. I need people spiritually stronger than me to hold me accountable and inspire me to not give up.

So this summer, I’m going to run to God, for God, and with God and I’m inviting others to join me. I need them to join me! I believe God is urging us to pray! We are in training for the most difficult race of our lives. Not all of us are meant to be marathon runners, but none of us are exempt from God’s race to bring people to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. So line up! Ready, set, go!

Can you hear it? Heaven’s trumpets have sounded. The angels are cheering us on! The Holy Spirit is empowering us! And Jesus waits at the finish line to award us our eternal prize – a crown of righteousness. 

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (MSG)
You’ve all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You’re after one that’s gold eternally.
I don’t know about you, but I’m running hard for the finish line. I’m giving it everything I’ve got. No sloppy living for me! I’m staying alert and in top condition. I’m not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.

Love,
Yolanda


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.