Friday, May 10, 2013

Stressed? No Way....Not This Mom


This Mother's Day, I have realized two very important things. 1) No matter how old you are, you always want your mom when things get tough and 2) As women and moms, sometimes we can sweep things under the rug, like our health and emotional well-being, because we are too busy keeping up appearances that we are OK and we have everything under control.

Recently, I broke out in a very painful and irritating skin rash brought upon by stress.  Upon seeing this dreaded rash, my first instinct was to run over to my mom's house so that she could diagnose it for me (no she doesn't have a medical degree but moms don't need one) and then she'd make it all better by rubbing Vicks VapoRub on it. But I refrained from running to my mom because it was late at night, I am all grown up, and I should be able to handle this like an adult. So, I sucked it up and went to the doctor. The doctor asked me if I was under a lot of stress.  I said, "I don't think so? Just regular life I guess."  I wanted to blame it on my husband but if marital stress was the cause of this rash I would have broken out the day after the honeymoon.  I wanted to blame it on homeschooling but actually my daughter and I are coasting into the end of the school year.  So the cause of my stress is all me!

The only thing I can think of is that I have neglected my health (not enough movement and too many sweets) and recently I have had some emotional stress: like disappoints, hurts, typical "girl" stuff.  But instead of sharing my feelings, I have been internalizing them, trying to bury them, pretending that they don't matter.  I think I've watched the Twilight movie too many times because I was trying to act like Bella putting up my "shield" to keep out all the dangerous pain. Well, bummer, I guess I don't have super vampire strength because I was done in by a rash.

Normally, this kind of situation would send me into a complete panic attack where I would basically curl up into a fetal position because I am kind of a hypochondriac.  It is also not a good idea to Google images of rashes because that will just completely freak you out. Even my mom, who is awesome at comforting, has difficulty talking me off the panic ledge sometimes.  So, what really surprised me about myself is that instead giving in to the panic attack, I actually knew where to run to this time for comfort and healing. My whole being, body, spirit and soul cried out to my Heavenly Father.  I felt like the woman in the Bible with the condition of excessive bleeding who clung to Jesus' robe (Matthew 9:20).  I grabbed onto Jesus and I was not letting go.  Because ultimately what I realized this Mother's Day is that Jesus is my everything. In this life, people no matter how much they love us are just human like me and will hurt my feelings, let me down, they can't solve my problems, heal me, or give me peace.

Jesus is my:
Husband
Best Friend
Mother
Father
Healer
Comforter
Savior
MY GOD!

I know this rash is already healing and will eventually fade away.  The Bible says God works out everything for my good (Romans 8:28) so God is with me and I am learning to Trust Him - To Have Faith - And to Trust some more! 

So this Mother's Day, I don't want flowers, candy, or even jewelry.  I want more of Jesus.  I want His Holy Spirit healing power. I want to have Faith to move mountains even when they are just mole hills I have made into mountains.  I want wisdom to parent my daughter and raise her to be a woman after God's own heart.  My prayer for her is that when life gets tough she will know that I will do everything in my human power to help but that ultimately she must turn to God to help, heal and save her.  

So my beloved fellow moms, this Mother's day slow down, relax, prioritize your health, let go, don't bury hurt and pain.  The pain, even if we think are really good at covering it up and hiding it, will manifest itself. It may affect your health, your temper, or your patience level.  But it will most definitely rob you of your joy.  

If you're stressed, give your burdens to God. He can handle them and He is immune to itchy rashes. 
If you're hurt, give your pain to God.  He will fill you with His love that surpasses understanding.
If you are sick, give your illness to God. He is the Great Physician.
If you are angry, give your bitterness to God. He will not judge you. He will soften your hardened heart and give you a new heart filled with His love.
If you are depressed, give your sadness to God. He is The Great Comforter and will give you hope.
If you are lost, call out to God. He will find you and never let you go. 


Psalm 103:11-14 (NLT)

For his unfailing love toward those who fear him  is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth. 
He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west.
The Lord is like a father to his children,  tender and compassionate to those who fear him.
For he knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust.

Happy Mother's Day.  
Love,
Yolanda


   

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!!! You just hit a HOME RUN!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!! You are really growing in the Lord!!!!! You are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing Glory!!!!!! Praise God!!!!!! Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for praying for me Jerry. I can't tell you how much that means to me. You are a comfort and mentor. May the Lord Jesus continue to bless you and your ministry. Yolanda

      Delete
  2. Awesome Yolanda....well done! Happy Mother's day to you....love and hugs! <3

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback.