Saturday, February 25, 2012

God, My Heart Is In Your Hands...Literally


This devotion is dedicated to the life of a wonderful family friend. I pray her inspiration saves the life of someone else.

On Tuesday, I am sadly going to the funeral of an extended family member who was 39 years old.  She was a beautiful young woman, full of joy and vibrancy.  She was a blessing to her family.  It wasn't a car accident or something expected as the result of an illness, but a sudden and tragic heart attack.  She will be missed and I pray God comforts her husband and family.

This tragedy has reminded me of two very important life lessons.  One is that our life is a gift from God. Every breath we take, every beat of our heart is divinely given and divinely taken away in His timing.  James 4:14 (NLT) says, “How will you know what your life is like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog - it’s here a little while, and then it’s gone.”  God wants us to make the most of everyday.  Psalm 90:12 says, “Teach us to realize the brevity of life so that we may grow in wisdom.”  The psalmist doesn't tell us to live our life in pursuit of wealth, fame, beauty or material possessions.  When we take our last breath, what do we want people to remember about us?  Do I want them to say, “Boy, she had a big house, what a great business woman, she had a beautiful body, or I wish I had her clothes or car?”  NO.  I want them to say, “What a great friend. What a loving wife, mom, daughter and sister." The Message Bible, rephrases the psalm this way, “Teach us to use wisely all the time we have.”  God wants us to realize our days our numbered so that we utilize them wisely.  He gives us clear instructions on how to do this by stating that life boils down to two commandments  1) Love your Lord God with all your heart, soul and mind. 2) Love your neighbor as yourself.  (Mathew 22:37-39)  If we can manage these two things in the days we are given, what a blessing we will be to those around us. That is the legacy I want to leave behind.

The second lesson is a very timely reminder that February is Heart Disease Awareness month.  I am not the best person to be giving advise on this topic because probably for the last two years I have felt pressure in my chest on occasion.  Due to my tendency to avoid the doctor like the plague and the loving similarities to my mom who also prefers Mexican home remedies to medication, I have not gone to the doctor.  But the loss of this friend has made me aware of my need to change my ways.  I looked at the American Heart Association website and found out some news that really stinks. It says that Hispanic women are more likely to develop heart disease 10 years before non-Hispanics.  I figured Vicks, beans and Bayer were a guaranteed cure-all.   Also, 64% of  women can die of a heart attack without having any prior symptoms.  The symptoms for women having heart attacks can include: uncomfortable pressure or tightness in the center of chest; pain or discomfort in arms, jaw, neck, back or stomach; shortness of breath; cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.  Since this list is like some scary checklist on which I can mark almost every item, I think I better make some changes.

First, I am going to follow my husbands Blood Type diet which means he’ll bug the heck out of me with tips and advise but I know it's because he loves me.  Of course, my blood type diet is not rocket science.  I can’t have bread, pasta, potatoes, or sweets. Basically all of the good stuff.  So, if you see me walking down the hall at work with a doughnut, knock it out of my hand because you are probably saving my life.  Remind me that I have my kelp, canned salmon and gluten-free crackers sitting on my desk. Yummy!  Also, I am going to move more.  I may have to re-position the computer farther away from the TV and hide the remote so that I can get my cardio workout in.   My husband and I just got back from Costco where we spent a small fortune on vitamin supplements, sea food and grapefruit juice.  Pray for me!!!!

I am being stubborn about going to doctor.  Baby steps, people.  But the Lord did give me a Bible verse for inspiration:
My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever….I have put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all Your works.” Psalm 73:26-28 (NKJV)

I am praying that the Lord strengthens my heart because I just started this writing ministry and I want to declare all of HIS marvelous works. I also know that I have to do my part to improve my heart health.  But I am following God's instructions and I am going to live and use each day to the fullest.  I am going to love the Lord God more than I have ever loved Him and I am going to cast off fear and doubt and share that love with my friends, family and anyone else God brings into my life.

How about you?  How is your heart?

Love,
Yolanda

Go Red For Women presents, "Just A little heart attack"





 

4 comments:

  1. I love your writing. I can see that you are naturally talented. You start with a theme and stick to it, but the reader is blessed, advised, inspired, and encouraged. Awesome.

    YOU MUST GO TO THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY! Don't be foolish. Your family needs you. DON'T WAIT.

    Costco (sp)

    Typical teacher,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Teacher. I will fix spelling immediately. LOL
    Your encouraging words are a blessing to me. I am doing great on my healthy eating and my coworkers are refusing to give me any doughnuts! But my friend's funeral today was a wake up call and I will be taking my own advise! Thank you for kind words.
    Love,
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to take steps towards health! Blessings on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the blessings Sarah. I need them, especially today. I am having major sugar and carbohydrate withdraws! Your kind words encouraged and cheered me up. I am praying that eventually kelp starts tasting like potato chips, gluten-free crackers like a muffin, a Zone bar like a brownie and green tea will go down like a Starbucks mocha. Baby steps.... :)
      Love in Christ,
      Yolanda

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and feedback.