Monday, January 16, 2017

My Not So Near Death Experience


So, on December 23rd, I had a little medical episode.
OK, I’m calling it my “not so near death experience.”
Not exactly the gift you want for your upcoming birthday.

So, here’s my not so tragic story:
While out and about for the holidays with my family, I suddenly felt severe pressure in my chest. It literally felt like someone had placed a ton of bricks on it. After about 5 minutes, I could not take a full breath and I figured I was having a heart attack. So, I told my husband to take me to the emergency room.

Now, those who know me know I hate going to the doctor.
Nothing personal. Doctors are great people. I’d just rather try some crazy Mexican remedy to fix whatever ails me. So, in order to willing go to the emergency room, the years of my life were quickly flashing before my eyes.

About one mile from the hospital, my husband laid his hand on my head and prayed for me. The moment he said, “In Jesus Name. Amen”, the pressure lifted from my chest and I was able to take a full breath. Within seconds, I was able to breath regularly and I felt better. Well enough to tell my husband that I was NOT going to spend Christmas Eve in the emergency room. After some argument, he turned the car around and we continued with our Christmas plans.

I know some will read this and think it was foolish not to go to the doctor. That’s OK. I am claiming the healing for my heart. In the car, I literally felt like God lifted the pressure from my chest and breathed new life into me physically and spiritually.  He gave me a glimpse of how fragile my earthly body is. God’s Word says our life on earth is like the morning fog, it is here for a little while and then it is gone. (James 4:14)

God actually gave me a great birthday gift - a new perspective for my life for 2017. He gifted me a scripture verse that has become my prayer for this year.

Psalm 90:12(NIV)
Teach me to number my days, that I may gain a heart of wisdom.

I love this translation because it does not say “gain a mind of wisdom” – more knowledge and intellect - but a HEART of wisdom. The amplified translation actually says that by understanding the brevity of life, we cultivate a heart of wisdom and we bring that heart to God. Beautiful!

So what is wisdom? When you read Proverbs, Wisdom is talked about in literary terms as a female person. But as you read through the proverbs, you see that Wisdom is directly linked to the eternal God. It is part of His essence and character.

Proverbs 8:22(NLT) 
The LORD possessed me [Wisdom]at the beginning of His way, before His works of old. I have been established from everlasting, from the beginning before there was ever an earth.
Proverbs 3:19 By Wisdom the LORD founded the earth… 

So, the LORD and Wisdom have always been united in purpose. God says in Psalm 8 that Wisdom cries out to us from the mountaintops, from the gates of the city, at the entrance of our doors telling us, “I love those who love Me and those who seek Me will find Me.” (Verse 17)

It is the desire of God’s heart that we seek His Wisdom. He’s calling out to us:
He says, “Come and listen to My counsel. I will share My heart with you and make you wise.” (Proverbs 1:23)

So, I don’t know about you, but if God is offering to share His heart with me, I want it. As the world spirals into chaos and confusion as the day of Jesus Christ's return draws near, I know I need Jesus as my firm foundation. I need God's wisdom and discernment to guide me through the power of the Holy Spirit, not just for my sake but for the sake of my family and friends. I need God’s Wisdom to know how to navigate the coming storms prophesied in the Bible so I can point people to the hope and saving grace of Jesus Christ.

God’s Word is full of promises for those who seek His Wisdom: safety, security, health, strength, happiness, it is literally the pathway to a healthy heart and life.

“My children, give attention to My words, incline your ear to My sayings. Do not let them depart form your eyes. Keep them in the midst of your heart; For they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh. Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it springs the issues of life. Let your heart retain My words; keep My commands, and live.

Get Wisdom! Get understanding!
My children, if you receive My words and treasure My commands within you, so that you incline your ear to wisdom and apply your heart to understanding…if you seek and search for her as hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly…When wisdom enters your heart, and knowledge is pleasant to your soul, discretion will preserve you; understanding will keep you, to deliver you from the way of evil.

Let your heart keep My commands; for length of days and long life and peace will they add to you….Fear the LORD…it will be health to your flesh and strength to your bones….Happy is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gains understanding .. Wisdom is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, and happy are all who retain her.
So, my children, listen carefully; those who embrace these My ways are most blessed.
Mark a life of discipline and live wisely; don’t squander your precious life.
Blessed the man, blessed the woman, who listens to Me, awake and ready for Me each morning, alert and responsive as I start My day’s work.
When you find Me, you find life, real life, to say nothing of GOD’s good pleasure.
But if you wrong Me, you damage your very soul; when you reject Me, you’re flirting with death.”
So my child, do you need wisdom? ASK ME! I am a generous God, and I will give it to you. I will not rebuke you for asking.”*

On December 23rd, God got my attention. He took hold of my heart - literally. So, for 2017, I'm asking GOD for His wisdom. I'm asking Him to share His heart with me.
How about you? Do you need God's wisdom today? Can you hear the call of God from the mountaintops? Can you see Him at the city gates? Do you feel Him knocking at the door to your heart? If you do, make 2017 the year that you open that door. You won't regret it!
Love,
Yolanda

*(From Proverbs 4:20-23; 4:4-5; 2:1-12; 3:1-2,8,13, 18 NLT; James 1:5 NLT; Proverbs 8:32-36 MGS)





No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.