Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Speak No Evil

What God has said isn’t only alive and active! It is sharper than any double-edged sword. His Word can cut through our spirits and souls and through our joints and marrow, until it discovers the desires and thoughts of our hearts. Hebrews 4:12 (CEV)
God's Word cuts right to the heart of the matter. That’s why when I read the following verse in James this morning, I said, “Ouch, LORD!”

If you think you are being religious, but can’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and everything you do is useless. Religion that pleases God the Father must be pure and spotless. You must help needy orphans and widows and not let this world make you evil. James 1:26-27 (CEV)

I can get so caught up in politics, injustice, and what I perceive as a big, black cloud of evil approaching on the horizon that my mouth runs away from me. I was literally shouting at my television the other day during a news press conference. My daughter heard me from her bedroom and wondered if mom had lost her marbles. She had.

Yesterday, I literally felt like the Apostle Peter, BEFORE his Holy Spirit transformation during Pentecost. The old Peter would spout off and say, “Not me, Jesus. I’ll never deny you.” Then he proceeded to deny Jesus 3 times. Or “Let me walk on water, Jesus.” Then he sank after taking his eyes off of Jesus and fear set in. Or he’d speak first and think later. At one point, Peter pulled Jesus aside and said, “Hey, Jesus, stop talking about dying. You're freaking me out.” (That's a paraphrase.) Jesus reprimanded Peter and said, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.” (Matthew 16:21-23 AMP)

A friend tried to lovingly point out my "Old Peter" behavior yesterday while I was passionately debating current world events. It didn't go well. I felt indignant thinking,“What are we supposed to do? Just roll over and let evil win?” I want to fight the good fight but I tend to go charging in like a bull in china shop. Kind of like Peter, my heart's in the right place, but I talk or act without stopping to pray for God's guidance first.

This morning when I read James 1:27, I felt like God was warning me, “Don’t let this world make you evil, Yolanda, even in the name of justice.” That is why it is so important for me to stay in God’s Word. It speaks truth, piercing my heart. It reminds me, the battle is not mine to fight. It’s God’s. I’ve read the end of The Book. I know who wins. Jesus wins and I'm on the winning side.
Then I saw heaven opened, and a white horse was standing there. And the one sitting on the horse was named Faithful and True. For He judges FAIRLY and then goes to war. His eyes were bright like flames of fire, and on His head were many crowns. a name was written on Him, and only He knew what it meant. He was clothed with a white robe dipped in blood, and His title was WORD of GOD. The armies of heaven, dressed in pure white linen, followed Him on white horses. From His mouth came a sharp sword (HIS WORD), and with it He struck down the nations. He Himself will rule them...And He has on HIS robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. Revelation 19:11-16

God is a fair and just God. So even though I want justice to be done a certain way, just like when Peter chopped off the ear of one of the soldiers who came to arrest Jesus; God will have mercy on whom He will give mercy. Jesus healed the soldier's ear showing mercy and compassion. And just like Jesus has been merciful to me, by taking my sins on Himself, He expects me to be merciful and compassionate to others.

So my prayer today is:

Jesus, don’t let my heart be troubled. I believe and trust in You. Your Word says You are preparing a place for me and that You will come back again and take me to Yourself so that I can be with You for eternity. (John 14:1-3) You will never cast me out. (John 6:27). Forgive me for my sins that are a stumbling block for the furtherance of the Gospel. Forgive me for setting my mind on the things of man, and not on the things of God. Pour out Your Spirit on me and transform me like you transformed Peter. Help me to control my tongue. Thank you for shedding Your blood on the cross so that it covers me and makes me pure and spotless in Your sight. Give me your eyes, ears, and heart for the poor, the widows, the orphans, and the lost. Make clear Your will for my life so that I can serve You. Let all I do, say, and write be for Your glory and purposes. In Jesus Name. Amen.

Love,
Yolanda




No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.