Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Pesky Fly

Special thank you to my photographer, L.V.

Recently, two things happened that tried to rob me of my time with God. Very annoying!

First, I was about to hear a great message from a pastor, when a lady spilled her coffee a few minutes after he started speaking. Immediately, those of us seated next to her froze in indecision. Should we help her clean up or will that distract the pastor, causing her more embarrassment. As she was crawling around with paper towels, I’m literally sweating for her. I’m trying to keep eye contact with the pastor, appearing to listen so he would not be distracted, and feeling guilty for not helping her cleanup. Suddenly, I have to inwardly sigh thinking, “Seriously, God? Isn’t this just how life goes. We want so badly to give You our full attention and then life just spills all over us.”

Later that same day, during our staff devotions, a pesky fly kept buzzing around while our director was trying to share a message about the Fruits of the Spirit. As much as we tried to pay attention, that pesky fly would not leave us alone. Someone grabbed a fly swatter but it just kept flying out of reach.  I kept thinking, “Let’s just forget the fly already and concentrate on the message.” However, I knew that until that pesky fly was crushed, it would prevent us from relaxing in God’s presence and giving Him our full attention.

And that’s how life goes sometimes. Pesky flies will invade our peace until we get our fly swatter out and crush them. The sole purpose of these pesky flies is to distract us and keep us from God…

Once there was a pesky fly
Who kept buzzing in my space
Though I tried to ignore him
He’d boldly fly right up in my face.

“Lord, I want to hear from You
The words You want to speak
But this pesky fly
Won’t leave me in peace!”

The Lord paused in His message
And looked down at my distress.

“Lord, are You going to crush this pesky fly
Who’s causing me all this stress?”

“No, My Child, you must rid yourself of the fly."

“But why? You could easily smash him with Your mighty fist.”

“Because, My Child, you left the door wide open and invited him into your place.”

Awareness set into my soul.
Contritely I asked, “I’m sorry, Lord. Now, what should I do?”

“My Child, pesky flies can't bother you if remain focused on Me.
I want you to have a love for My Word and consume it daily; that will slam that door shut.
Put on My Spirit every morning; that will repel that pesky fly.
And pray and talk to Me throughout your day; that will crush him in mid flight.”

God leaned in close and whispered into my heart,

“And next time that pesky fly comes flying near your place, get out your spiritual fly swatter because:
Nothing can ever separate you from My love.
And though you may get distracted every now and then, I will always call you back to Myself because you are My Beloved, now and forever.
I have sealed and marked you as My very own. 
My Spirit dwells in you.
And in MY dwelling place, there are no flies allowed!”

So with Bible in one hand and fly swatter in the other, my mind and heart were set free, and God and I continued our conversation.

Job 11:13-20 (MSG)
Reach Out to God
“Still, if you set your heart on God and reach out to him,
If you scrub your hands of sin and refuse to entertain evil in your home,
You’ll be able to face the world unashamed and keep a firm grip on life, guiltless and fearless.
You’ll forget your troubles; they’ll be like old, faded photographs.
Your world will be washed in sunshine, every shadow dispersed by dayspring.
Full of hope, you’ll relax, confident again; 
you’ll look around, sit back, and take it easy.
Expansive, without a care in the world, you’ll be hunted out by many for your blessing…”

Love,
Yolanda






2 comments:

I appreciate your comments and feedback.