Friday, January 16, 2015

GAME ON!

Well, it’s my birthday! The BIG 46! And I've decided to gift myself a birthday mantra  – GAME ON!
You see, every year I get very motivated. Probably because my birthday falls at the beginning of the year and it always feels like a fresh start. Some people hate birthdays. Not me. Since I turned 40, I embrace every year as an exciting adventure and opportunity to grow spiritually.

At 40, I went a little nutty (in a good way). I became addicted to reading, fell in love with a fictional character, and gained some much-needed confidence.
At 41, I wandered in a spiritual desert for a while.
At 42, I channeled my nuttiness and desert experience into a passion for writing.
At 43, I had a powerful encounter with the Holy Spirit that changed my life.
At 44, God helped me overcome feelings of unworthiness and doubt. I'm still a work-in-process in this area, but God is good and never gives up on me. 
At 45, I unleashed my inner bombshell and started exercising. I have spin'd zumba'd, and yoga'd myself to better health. I don’t mind aging but I want to age physically, mentally, and spiritually strong.
So at 46 it’s GAME ON!

Everywhere I look, I see posters with variations of my new mantra.  I feel like the Lord is telling me that all my exercise and strength training in 2014 was in preparation for what’s coming this year. This year it’s Game Time! He is pruning my life of junk that’s been weighing me down physically or spiritually. And instead of whining and complaining, like I usually do, I’m ready and willing to lay the junk down at Jesus’ feet.

God calls our body the temple (home) of the Holy Spirit and it’s time to get my temple in tip-top shape so I can have the physical endurance and mental clarity to do God’s work.
You surely know that your body is a temple where the Holy Spirit lives. The Spirit is in you and is a gift from God. You are no longer your own.  God paid a great price for you. So use your body to honor God. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (CEV)
So in 2015, God is urging me to be stronger, braver, kinder, unstoppable, and fierce. I have listed the following scriptures that I'm praying and claiming for myself this year. Praying scripture out-loud is life changing.

“Speaking Scriptures activates a powerful, mind-renewing cycle because it allows truth to ingest in you, to get out of you, then back into you and so on. This transforms your life with confidence in what God has assured.” Quote from article by Kyle Winkler, The 1 Spiritual Habit You Can Begin Today That Will Change Your Life Forever


Strong:
The Lord is my Strength and my impenetrable Shield; my heart trusts in, relies on, and confidently leans on Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song will I praise Him. Psalm 28:7 

Brave:
Lord you have commanded me to be strong and brave. I don’t have to be afraid or discouraged! You are my Lord, my God, and with me wherever I go. Joshua 1:9

Kind:
You have commanded me to love others. In the same way you loved me I must love others. This is how everyone will recognize that I am your disciple—when they see the love I have for others. John 13:34-35

Unstoppable:
But those who wait for the Lord [who expect, look for, and hope in Him] shall change and renew their strength and power; they shall lift their wings and mount up [close to God] as eagles [mount up to the sun]; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint or become tired. Isaiah 40:31 AMP

Fierce:
So, roll up your sleeves, put your mind in gear, be totally ready to receive the gift that’s coming when Jesus arrives. Don’t lazily slip back into those old grooves of evil, doing just what you feel like doing. You didn't know any better then; you do now. As obedient children, let yourselves be pulled into a way of life shaped by God’s life, a life energetic and blazing with holiness. God said, “I am holy; you be holy.” 1 Peter 1:13-16 (MSG)

I believe God is calling Believers to higher level of commitment. He wants us to prioritize our relationship with Him. God’s Word says He earnestly longs for us. He desires to show us His loving kindness. He offers us a personal relationship that is matchless and unbreakable. (Isaiah 30:18 AMP). He's urging His Church, "Come back to me. Remember your first love". He knows that the battle against our faith is heating up and we are going to need the Holy Spirit's power more than ever. 

As I was talking to God about this post, the Apostle Stephen came to my mind.  He was the first apostle to be martyred for sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He was stoned to death by an angry mob. Through out the world, persecution against Christians is on the rise.* Jesus told us, "You will be hated by all for My name's sake, but he who perseveres and endures to the end will be saved." (Matthew 10:22) He was warning Believers that in this world we would see trouble and persecution. Most of us will hopefully never have to suffer literal stoning but we are seeing stones of hatred and intolerance being thrown against any symbol or representation of Jesus Christ. Lawsuits to prevent crosses, Bibles, and prayer abound. And just like those that threw stones at Stephen to shut him up, the world is throwing stones at Christians to shut us up.

As we look at the Biblical account of Stephen (Acts 7:54-60), we find the key to surviving and thriving in these dark days.
At that point they went wild, a rioting mob of catcalls and whistles and invective. But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, hardly noticed—he only had eyes for God, whom he saw in all his glory with Jesus standing at his side. He said, “Oh! I see heaven wide open and the Son of Man standing at God’s side!” Acts 7:54-56 (MSG)
God gave me this scripture to remind me that in order to be stronger, braver, kinder, unstoppable and fierce, I need to be full of the Holy Spirit, with eyes only for Him. Then I will hardly notice the stones thrown my way because my eyes will be focused on His Glory.

I admit I've never been a sports person. In school, I was the last person picked for every team. But God’s ways are not man’s ways. On his team, none of us are chosen last and no one is intended to be a bench-warmer. We all are called to suit up and head down to the playing field. The opposing team may attempt to knock us down, but with the Holy Spirit as our Coach, God calling the plays, and Jesus cheering us on, the victory is already guaranteed!!!

So, if this mantra is resonating with your spirit, God is calling you off the bench of life because it's GAME TIME! 

GAME ON!
Love,
Yolanda 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.