Friday, April 25, 2014

I Choose Divergent - Determining Your Spiritual Gifts


So, I’m on Spring Break and I've been catching up on my favorite pastime, going to the movies. I just saw Divergent and loved it.  I was warned not to read the book first so I could go in with an open mind. The movie inspired me to:
1) read the books and
2) write!
I love when a movie does that.  Now I could write a whole post on the political messages in this movie; the dangers of government stripping individuals of their rights in the name of the better good BUT I won’t.  You can watch your local news channel for that. What I was inspired to write on was the Good News that we are all called to be Divergents! 


So here’s a brief synopsis of the film. The movie is set in a post-apocalyptic version of Chicago where society is divided into 5 different factions (groups) based on human virtues: honesty, selflessness, bravery, peaceful, and intelligence. When a person turns 16, they are given a test to determine which group in society they should join based on their propensity for a particular virtue. Once they join their particular group, they are not allowed to change their mind or interact with any other group. Basically, the government is trying to control people’s free will, limit their individuality, and people who don’t conform (the “Divergents”) are eliminated.

At first, this testing seems like a good idea. Wouldn't it be cool if we could all get tested to tell us exactly what we should do with our lives? No guess work. No chance for failure. No risk taking. While watching the testing of this young girl named Tris Prior, I remembered early in my Christian walk people taking “Spiritual Gift” assessment tests. These tests would ask you a series of questions and it would help you determine which gift God had given you. I remember wanting to take this test because I thought, “If I can just figure out what my spiritual gift is, then I will know what I’m supposed to do to serve God. Until I figure it out, I guess I’m not supposed to do anything.” So I proceeded to not do much of anything. I felt kind of guilty about it so I would try and do things on my own, like ministry work and I always felt out of my element, exhausted, discouraged. Usually my pride tripped me up from really being a blessing or even receiving a blessing.

When I got baptized in the Spirit in December 2012, one of the encouragements I received was that God is not stingy when giving His children gifts. This scripture verse explains God’s attitude on this matter and what ours should be:
For everyone who keeps on asking receives; and he who keeps on seeking finds; and to him who keeps on knocking, [the door] will be opened. Or what man is there of you, if his son asks him for a loaf of bread, will hand him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will hand him a serpent?  If you then, evil as you are, know how to give good and advantageous gifts to your children, how much more will your Father Who is in heaven [perfect as He is] give good and advantageous things to those who keep on asking Him! Matthew 7:8-11 (AMP)
God wants us to “keep asking”. It’s like the Parable of the Talents that Jesus taught the disciples in Matthew 25:14-30.  This parable basically says that the more we invest and use our talents for God’s Kingdom purposes, the more talents we will receive.  The following verses describe the gifts God gives us through His Holy Spirit.

In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you.  If your gift is serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, teach well. If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly. Romans 12:6-8 (NLT)
There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them…  To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines. 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 (NIV)

I used to think, just like the citizens in the movie, that everyone received just one gift based on their personality or character strengths.  And that if we were weak in a particular area, then that was not our gift so we were off the hook.  For example, the faction for bravery is called “Dauntless”; those who chose to be Dauntless are the protectors of society. While watching the film, I thought to myself, “Well that would definitely not be me. They have to run, jump off trains, and beat people up! There is sweating involved so no thanks.” I think a lot of us get stuck in this same thinking. We limit ourselves. I teach Sunday school so that’s my group. I’m on the Worship Team so that’s my group. I write devotions so that’s my group. When God is saying, “Do not limit the power of the Holy Spirit in you. I don’t want you stuck in a group. Break free and be a divergent.”    

You see the word divergent means different, diverse, separate, or conflicting. That means as Believers in Jesus Christ we are all Divergents. We are not meant to conform to this world because our true eternal citizenship is not on Earth but Heaven. Once we accept Jesus as our Lord in Savior, God adopts us into His family and we become His children. We are now citizens of Heaven. So just as being a citizen of a particular country gives us certain rights, being a citizen of Heaven and a co-heir with Christ gives us all the rights and authority of Heaven.  That’s why the Lord’s prayer says, “Your will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.” God wants us to manifest His will here on earth.  What’s God’s will you ask?  He wants us to be filled with His Spirit who will equip us with every gift necessary to share the message of salvation through Jesus Christ.   
Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Christ…I will know that you are working together and that you are struggling side by side to get others to believe the good news. Philippians 1:27 (NLT and CEV)
Just think—you don’t need a thing, you've got it all! All God’s gifts are right in front of you as you wait expectantly for our Master Jesus to arrive on the scene for the Finale. And not only that, but God himself is right alongside to keep you steady and on track until things are all wrapped up by Jesus. God, who got you started in this spiritual adventure, shares with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. He will never give up on you. Never forget that.  1 Corinthians 1:7-9 (MSG)
There is a great line in the movie spoken by Four, the Dauntless trainer. He tells Tris, “Fear does not shut you down – It wakes you up.”  That is what God is wanting for us – His church.  He wants to wake us up! God is pouring out His Holy Spirit on the church and you can either stay in your box of conformity or you can be dauntless, fearless, bold and break the chains of fear that are holding you back from God’s calling in your life. 

This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you. For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.  2 Timothy 1:6-7 (NLT)
My favorite scene in the movie is where Four shows his tattoos to Tris (and no it’s not because the actor removes his shirt – please, does that sound like me?) It’s because of what Four says when Tris asks him why he has all 5 tattoos from the different factions. Four says, “I don’t want to be just one thing. I want to be brave and selfless and intelligent and honest and kind”.  That’s how I feel about God’s spiritual gifts. I want them all; not so I can hoard them or boast but so I can use them when God provides an opportunity to serve. If I am asked to pray for someone who is sick, I want to pray for healing with the authority given to me by Jesus as a citizen of Heaven. If I come across a person who is hungry, I want the gift of compassion to provide for their needs. If I am called upon to share my faith, I want the gift of evangelism. If someone asks for my advice, I want the gift of wisdom to give Godly counsel. If I don’t know how to pray, I want the gift of tongues to pray in the Spirit.  I don’t want to be forced into a box of conformity. I want to be more than just one thing. I want to be marked by the Holy Spirit. Just like Four’s tattoo declares who he wants to be. I want Jesus’ stamp of approval that says, “Yolanda has the right and authority to perform miracles in My Name!”

So it’s time to fan the flames of the Spirit that we received when we accepted Jesus into our hearts as our Lord and Savior. How do we fan the flame?
  • Pray and ask for the manifestation of the gifts. And then keep asking. That is my prayer every morning.
  • Read God's word for wisdom and direction. It's food for the soul.
  • Do not neglect going to church. In these difficult days, we need to be uplifted and encouraged.
  • Listen to worship music. It's powerful. It speaks directly to our Spirit and wakes it up.
  • Give thanks in all things. God's word says, "Enter my gates with thanksgiving." (Psalm 100:4) Giving thanks ushers us into God's presence.
  • Step out in faith. Just like exercise gets us physically in shape. Exercising our spiritual gifts builds our confidence and faith.
  • And when we stumble and fall or get knocked down, we must remember that Jesus is closer than ever, ready to give us a hand up. He is cheering us on. 

So, your test is over. The results are inconclusive. You don’t fit into any one group. You are a divergent! Now don’t let fear shut you down because the Enemy loves it when Christians act powerless. Let the Holy Spirit WAKE YOU UP! If “one choice can transform you”, why not choose Holy Spirit transformation.

Romans 12:2 (ESV)
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Love,
Yolanda, A Fellow Divergent


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and feedback.