Monday, February 10, 2014

For Valentine's Day...A Bouquet Is Better Than A Single Rose

Many, many years ago, when I was dating my soon-to-be hubby, I received my first Valentine’s Day flower delivery at work.  It was a lovely single red rose with a sweet love letter attached.  I was so excited! For the first time in my very, very limited dating life I had a cute Valentine of my very own. The whole day I walked around my office in a state of romantic bliss….until I got home.

You see my perfectly gorgeous roommate was dating an Argentinean rich Hottie. That evening I walked into a literal Valentine's Day shrine in our apartment. Mr. Hottie had bought her 2-dozen Argentinean roses. Did you know that Argentinean roses actually stand about 3-feet tall? If that wasn't bad enough, he bought her a chocolate candy kiss that was bigger than my single lonely rose.  She offered to let my little rose sit next to her shrine in the living room, but my single rose and I took the walk of shame back to my bedroom. 

I used to be like that little lonely rose. A Christian rose, beautiful and fragrant, but still standing all alone.  Mistakenly thinking, “It’s just me and God against the world. I don’t need to rely on anyone else.” While it’s true that our relationship with God is a personal one; what was really going on in my heart was fear. Fear of letting others see my struggles. Fear they wouldn't understand. Fear I’d be judged for my weaknesses. I was afraid to be let down, ignored, or rejected.

Since I have been blessed to work in a Christian school, where weekly prayer and devotions are part of our work schedule, I have learned that it is not good to be a single little rose standing alone.  I have come to value my fellow Christian roses. You see when we get together for that ½ hour, amazing things happen: walls are broken down, hurts are healed, wrongs are forgiven, laughter is shared, weary souls are uplifted, wisdom flows, dreams are encouraged, and prayer is raised as a sweet aroma of devotion to our Jesus.  That ½ hour is the greatest teacher prep work we do all week long.

Recently, our hearts were united stronger than ever praying for a little girl who was battling cancer. She was known to only one of us but our love for one another made her important to all of us. For months, every Tuesday, we would lift her up in prayer and as time past she became part of our hearts.  Maybe because we are all moms. Maybe because we teach children about her same age. But most likely because as Sisters-in-Christ we are supposed to share one another’s burdens.

Last Saturday this beautiful little girl went home to be with Jesus and we wept tears of heartbreak for her family.  In my sadness, I felt as if God knit our broken hearts together and He gently arranged all of His beautiful single roses into a beautiful bouquet of prayer for Faith and her family. 

This week as our staff will be wearing shades of pink in honor of Valentine’s day, I got an image of all of us teachers bound together as a lovely bouquet of pink roses wearing our broken hearts on our sleeves. We will proudly wear our pink in honor of a sweet, beautiful little girl who showed us what true faith looks like and reminded us what it means to BE LOVE to one another.     

This poem is dedicated to Faith…

Pink

Valentine’s week
Staff told to wear pink
My initial reaction
Pink? That stinks
But now in remembrance
Pink….
Pretty in pink
Precious and sweet
Favorite among little girls
The color of rosy cheeks
Filly dresses
With ribbons and bows
Pink…
The color of flowers in bloom
We will be God’s roses
Lifting our prayers
Like petals in search of the sun
Our faith an exquisite fragrance
A sweet aroma of praise
Gathered together as a bouquet
A Valentine’s gift to our Savior
Jesus
Our one and only true love

So this Valentine’s Day if you are a little rose, beautiful but all alone in a glass vase, remember that God desires to gather us together into His own special bouquet (Hebrews 10:25).  He knows that we need one another to make it through the heartbreak and the trials of life. It doesn't matter what season you’re in: single, married, kids, no kids, old, or young. Find a church that is alive with God’s Spirit, a Bible study, prayer breakfast, moms group, singles group, youth group, and God fearing friends who will keep you accountable. People who will keep you running the race towards the prize of salvation. When you are united in Spirit with Believers you can pray for others and they can pray for you, you can hug others and they can hug you, you can BE LOVE to others and let others BE LOVE to you.  Remember, the Enemy of God wants to keep you alone. Don’t let him. He knows that alone our fragrance of Jesus is sweet but gathered together it's a powerful, overwhelming, fragrant aroma of salvation to those that are hungry and searching for God. That life-giving fragrance of Jesus will be irresistible to the lost and hurting just like bees drawn to the nectar of flowers…      

Happy Valentine’s Day! 

Love,
Yolanda

In the Messiah, in Christ, God leads us from place to place in one perpetual victory parade. Through us, he brings knowledge of Christ. Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance. Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation—an aroma redolent with life. 2 Corinthians 2:15-16 (MSG)
Some people have gotten out of the habit of meeting for worship, but we must not do that. We should keep on encouraging each other, especially since you know that the day of the Lord’s coming is getting closer. Hebrews 10:25 (CEV)

3 comments:

  1. Very Good, AGAIN!!!!!!! Challenged me in ways! Thanks for Sharing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jerry. May God bless you this Valentine's day with a super-duper extra measure of His love because you are so willing to bless others with your loving kindness, prayers, and encouraging words.

      Delete
  2. Loved what you say about the single little rose I can relate and about the bouquet we are all so different but loved by God. Josefine

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and feedback.